Monday, October 12, 2015

day 1 Florida Trail

March 7, 2015


After weeks of preparation, today is the day. Today, Mariner Cheney and I are going to attempt a portion of the Greenway Trail and the Florida Trail. I could hardly sleep because my mind was thinking about so many things. I finally got out of bed at 5 to shower for the last time for a week.


After packing up our packs with our food, clothing, tent and anything else we thought we might need for a weeks time we were ready to go.


The drive from Tampa to Dunnellon took a little over a hour and a half. This was it!


At 8:30 a.m. we were on our way. After about 3 hours of hiking we finally crossed a road only to find out the trail had ended. Mariner, then pulled out his phone only to realize that because the beginning parts of the trail were poorly labeled we had missed the trail and that we were about 5 miles away from where we were supposed to be.


Throughout the Greenway Trail there were not only hiking trails and loops but also mountain bike and horse trails. After watching these guys and girls fly past on their mountain bikes did I realize that I was in for a long couple of days.


We finished hiking at 7:45 p.m. after traveling 15 miles (In the correct direction). The temperature was pretty comfortable, high 70's, with the sun shinning throughout most of the day. After taking about 90 minutes resting throughout the day for food and water I was ready for bed.

The first picture is the food that I brought. I spent roughly $70.
Mariner "Dick" Cheney and I at the start of the trailhead in Dunellon.
The picture above was our campsite for
the first night. Every night we hung out food bags a couple hundred feet away from us in case bears or any other animals came by us. 

No comments: